Crossed by the river Brenta, Bassano del Grappa is one of the most densely-populated and well-developed town in Veneto. As well as fast-growing industrial economy and a lively cultural activity, Bassano possesses a fine gastronomic tradition: it is impossible to leave without having tasted the asparagues, dried cod and grappa (if possible at the Nardini distillery).
Standing in the central Monte Vecchio square are the impressive Palazzo del monte di pieta' and the Casa Dal Corno Bonato, the facade of which was frescoed by Jacopo da Ponte, known as il Bassano (his works are now conserved in the Museo Civico); a few steps away, in Piazza della Liberta', is the neoclassical church of San Giovanni built in the 1300s by the architect Giovanni Miazzi. The 15th century Loggia del Comune is also lovely. All the town is dotted with buildings of fine taste, enriched with prescious ornamentation; a walk through the quiet squares is most fascinating.
The pearl of Bassano is, however, its wooden bridge, designed by Palladio in this material as its flexibility would resist the raging Brenta river. It was damaged both by the river and by bombings, but it was always restored following the ideas of Palladio. The last restoration was in the second postwar period and it was due to the Alpine troops.
Monuments in Bassano
Dating from 1655, in the baroque style, it hosts exhibitions and concerts.
Botanical garden realized by A. Parolini at the beginning of the nineteenth century. It contains species coming from all over the world.
LOGGIA DEI PODESTA' E PALAZZO DEL COMUNE
15th century lodge of the Palazzo del Municipio (Town Hall) dating from 1582.
MUSEO CIVICO - CONVENTO SAN FRANCESCO
Cloister and Chapter-house with frescoes by Battista da Vicenza (15th century). The museum, wich is among the first in Italy, includes the Pinacoteca (Art Gallery), with paintings by Dal Ponte, the Biblioteca (Library) with the Raccolta Remondini (Remondini Collection), prints by the most important engravers, the Sezione Archeologica (Archeology Section) with important finds of the Raccolta Chini (Chini Collection), the Sezione Canoviana (Canova Section) which gathers studies and pieces by A. Canova.
Hosts exhibitions and art exhibitions. On the facade, a fresco of Madonna with Child (late 15th century).
Formal construction of the 16th century in the old village of Angarano, decorated with frescoes from the school of P. Veronese. It is the seat of pottery and crafts exhibitions.
13th century construction. Since the year 1315 seat of power and later of the Town Council. The external covered staircase dates from 1522.
PALAZZO STURM - MUSEO DELLA CERAMICA
Elegant 18th century aristocratic residence, on the banks of the Brenta with views of the Ponte Vecchio (Historic Bridge). Interiors with stuccowork and frescoes by G. Anselmi (1756). Seat of the Museo della Ceramica (Pottery Museum): chronological collection of Bassano production.
PARCO RAGAZZI DEL '99
Public park dedicated to the "Boys of '99".
PALAZZOTTO MONTEVECCHIO E MONTE DI PIETA'
Main square of medieval Bassano, facing onto Monte di Pieta' with the town's coat of arms and numerous inscriptions honouring those in power.
Characteristic covered woden bridge and famous Bassano monument, dear to popular tradition. Faithfully rebuilt to the design of Palladio (1569) several times over the centuries. In 1948 rebuilt by the ANA and since then known as the Ponte degli Apini (Bridge of the Alpine Troops). Beautiful view of the mountains and Valbrenta.
PORTA DELLE GRAZIE
Part of the town's 14th century walls, restructured in 1560 by F. Zamberlan. Beyond the gate the panoramic Viale dei Martiri with fabulous view of the Massiccio del Grappa (Mount Grappa Massif) and the Altipiano di Asiago (Asiago Plateau).
14th century fortification, restructured in 32
CHIESA DI SAN DONATO
Built in 13th century and later completely changed. Preserves a work by Francesco Dal Ponte il Vecchio.
CHIESA DI SAN FRANCESCO
Late 13th century Roman-gothic building, with elegant 'protiro' (gate) of 1306. 15th century frescoes inside.
CHIESA DI SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA
Dating from the 14th century and rebuilt in 18th century with a neoclassic facade. The adjoining chapel Capella SS. Sacramento (1697), in rococo style, is by O. Marinali and G.B. Piazzetta.
DUOMO DI SANTA MARIA IN COLLE
Situated within the walls of the Castello Superiore (10th century) on the area of the first Pieve of Bassano. Inside are works by O. Marinali, L. dal Ponte as well as an important Roman Crucifixion.
Planned in 1802, it is place of theatre and opera.
Designed at the start of the 20th century, and used after the Great War as an Ossarium for the Fallen Soldiers of Mount Grappa.
Built in the 13th century, dominates the entiere old quarters of the town, overlooking piazza Garibaldi.
CHIESA DELLA TRINITA'
Rebuilt in 1740, holds a famous painting by J. da Ponte.
CONVENTO DI SAN SEBASTIANO
15th century church and monastery. Singular Museum of Pharmacy.
MONASTERO DI CAMPESE
Founded by Ponzio of Cluny in the year 1124. Contains frescoe by Dal Ponte and the burial of Teofilo Folengo, better known as Merlin Cocai.
UFFICIO IAT BASSANO
Piazza Garibaldi, 34 tel +39 0424 519917
Tourist Guide: Welcome to Bassano del Grappa